Monday, July 21, 2014

Funfetti donut holes


I've got exactly a month before I pack up and haul out to Boston, so my weekends are currently filled to the brim of me trying to do as much as I can and hang out with as many friends as possible.

This weekend was no exception. Attempted to go to the Ramen Festival on Saturday, which was a mess of epic proportions, before giving up and deciding that no, I did not want to wait two hours in line for a bowl of overpriced average ramen. Had more success hitting up the Renegade Craft fair, an event which I actually blogged about last year and bought myself a really neat journal made from a vintage encyclopedia.

So by the time Monday (today) rolled around, I was pretty tired - but still, it was baking night, so I needed to come up with something! I'm been trying to use up all the ingredients I have in the cupboard, since I don't plan to take any of it with me. After seeing the bin of sprinkles I had leftover from my cake mix funfetti cookies, I decided it was going to be another funfetti day. 

The original recipe for these were for funfetti donuts, but I didn't like how the recipe only gave you six donuts. So instead, I spooned the batter into my mini-muffin tin to make mini donut hole-cupcakes!


The key to this recipe, it seems, is to use warm glaze for dipping the donuts in. And not just a single dip of glaze - no, double dipping the glaze is the way to go here. This way, you get a pretty layer on top, perfect for gluing even more sprinkles onto your donuts. 

Here's to four great last weeks in California before my blog name (that I'm going to keep) becomes irrelevant!


Funfetti donut holes - makes 24 mini donut holes
(Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)

Donuts:
  • 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ⅓ cup (65 g) white sugar
  • ¼ cup almond milk
  • ¼ cup (60 g) plain yogurt
  • 1  egg
  • 2 Tbsp (30 g) unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1½ tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
Glaze:
  • ¼ cup almond milk
  • 2 cups (240 g) powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Rainbow sprinkles, for topping
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and sugar together. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk milk, yogurt, and egg together. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla. 
  4. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in sprinkles. 
  5. Scoop about 2 tsp of the batter into each tin. Bake for 14 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 
  6. Let cool for 10 minutes. 
  7. Make the glaze! Combine milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla together in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the glaze is smooth. Remove from heat.
  8. While the glaze is still warm, dip donut holes into glaze. Place on baking sheet to dry. Once all the donuts have been dipped once, re-dip them all again. Add more sprinkles on top. 
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!