Monday, May 5, 2014

Chocolate chip cookie cupcakes


It's one of those weeks where I don't have anything fancy or different in my baking cupboards, just the basic necessities. This wouldn't really be a problem because I can just make good old (delicious!) chocolate chip cookies, but as my friends know, I'm not the type to make anything traditional. There's always got to be a twist.

I've been thinking about this idea for awhile - what would happen if I baked cookies in a cupcake tin? I like uniform, pretty-looking desserts, and baking cookies this way would certainly keep them the same shape and size. The thing that I hadn't really thought about what else I would include - frosting? And if so, what type?


Then I stumbled upon a brilliant recipe on Sally's Baking Addiction (it always goes back to her!): chocolate chip cookie cupcakes with chocolate chip cookie dough frosting. Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Even better, her recipe for the cookie dough frosting is egg-free, making it safe to eat! (That's never stop me, honestly, but didn't want to risk my friends getting sick).

The cookie dough base is essentially the same as my favorite cookie dough recipe (which is no surprise, as that recipe also came from Sally's blog). You just make them as usual and drop them into the (lined) cupcake tins - and as a bonus, you don't need to chill the dough beforehand, since you're won't be worried about it spreading out too much!


While those are baking, I whipped up a batch of the cookie dough frosting - which was pretty much just regular cookie dough without the egg and extra milk to make it more spreadable and less dough-y. The original recipe called for the chocolate chips to be mixed in with the frosting, but since I wanted to pipe the frosting using a tip and the chips would jam it up, I added the chocolate chips after the fact. That allowed me to arrange them into a pretty pattern to make the cupcakes look even more enticing.

Towards the end, I began to run out of frosting and had to spread it instead of piping it on. After looking at the results though, I noticed that the spread-on frosting made the tops of the cupcakes look more like a chocolate chip cookie than the piped-on frosting, since it was flatter and smoother. But the piped frosting with its pretty swirls look nice too - I can't decide! Either way though, they both taste equally as delicious!

Stay tuned for more recipes to be posted this week - I made a few donut recipes in the last few weeks that I haven't gotten around to posting yet. And hopefully I'll have picked up some exotic ingredient by next week to make my next crazy sweet invention! :)

Swirled frosting on the left, spread-on frosting on the right. 
Chocolate chip cookie cupcakes - makes 30 "cupcakes"
(Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)

  • ¾ cup butter, unsalted and softened
  • ¾  cup/150 g dark brown sugar
  • ¼ cup/50 g white sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups/250 g flour, all-purpose
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1¼ cup /225 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Cream butter and both sugars together in a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. 
  3. Beat in the egg and vanilla and continue mixing on medium speed until combined. 
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. 
  5. Slowly add flour mixture to the wet mixture on low speed until just combined (don't overmix!). Scrape down the sides of the bowl. 
  6. Take 1½ Tbsp of the dough and roll into a ball (I used my medium cookie scoop), then drop it into lined cupcake tins. 
  7. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges have just started to brown. The centers will still be soft and appear underbaked. 
  8. Let cool completely before adding frosting (recipe below).  

Chocolate chip cookie dough frosting - makes enough to frost the cupcakes above
(Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)

  • ½ cup butter, unsalted and softened
  • ⅓ cup + 1 tsp/143 g dark brown sugar
  • 1⅓ tsp vanilla
  • 5/6 cups/107 g flour, all-purpose
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp almond milk 
  • ~1 cup milk chocolate chips
  1. Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. 
  2. Beat in vanilla and continue mixing on medium speed until combined.
  3. Slowly add flour and salt to the wet mixture on low speed until combined.
  4. Add the milk and then turn the speed up to medium-high and beat until fluffy and frosting-like.
  5. Pipe or spread onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes. Arrange the chocolate chips on top. 
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!