Saturday, May 31, 2014

Brown butter baked doughnuts


I'm currently vacationing at home right now, which means ultimate laziness and infrequent blog updates. Haven't had the chance to properly bake at home, so I'd figured it would be a good time to post a doughnut recipe from awhile back. I know, I know, I've been saying I'd post this recipe for a month now, but here it is, finally!

I haven't gotten too much opportunity to use my doughnut pan since getting it, especially with my recent macaron obsession taking over. The recipes I've had made though have been quite successful! (And I've been telling myself it's healthy, since I'm baking and not frying these doughnuts).

This one is a brown butter doughnut with a brown butter glaze. I love brown butter - it's all nutty and caramel-y and generally delicious. And another plus - it's easy to make! Just be careful to watch it while heating and make sure it doesn't burn.

Since it's been awhile that I made this exact recipes, I don't really remember many details of the baking process except that the doughnuts turned out well and I licked the saucepan clean of all the leftover brown butter. So all in all, no issue with this recipe. Enjoy!


Brown butter doughnuts (makes 6 doughnuts)
Adapted from Joy the Baker
  • 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
  • ¾ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup (67 g) white sugar
  • 6 Tbsp butter, unsalted
  • 1 egg
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Sprinkles (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a doughnut pan. 
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar together. 
  3. In a small saucepan, melt butter on medium-low heat until it begins to brown. There will be brown bits forming in the saucepan and start to smell nutty. At this point, remove from heat. 
  4. Whisk egg, buttermilk, and vanilla together. Add 2 Tbsp of the brown butter to the egg mixture (save the rest for glaze, below). 
  5. Add the wet mixture into to the dry and stir until completely combined (but don't overmix!).
  6. Divide batter between the 6 wells in the doughnut pan (each will be about 3/4 full). 
  7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops rise and begin to brown slightly. 
  8. Remove and let cool. 
  9. Top with glaze (recipe below) and sprinkles, if you want. 
Brown butter glaze (makes enough to glaze the doughnuts above)
Adapted from Buns in My Oven
  • Remaining brown butter from above
  • 1 cup (100 g) powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp almond milk
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  1. Combine all ingredients together until a glaze forms. 
  2. Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and top with sprinkles. 
  3. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!