Monday, June 23, 2014

Cake mix funfetti cookies


I've heard quite a bit about the Wilton Method classes and always have been curious to try them, but the courses are pretty pricey. Last month though, I was shopping at Michael's for craft supplies, and the store happened to be holding a special on their classes, giving me the opportunity to sign-up for Course 1 (Building Buttercream Skills) for half-off.

The first class was tonight, where I got to try a bunch of new piping tips and make different designs. I can now make a variety of borders, stars, leaves, swirls, and simple flowers. I can't wait until next class when we graduate to more complicate flowers and patterns!

The downside of the class though was it took up most of my Monday night, which happens to be when I bake my treats for Tuesday. I still wanted to bring in something to work, so I needed either a very quick recipe or one that I could prepare ahead of time.

For this, cookies are the ideal choice. The dough is usually easy to make and the baking times are short. Even better, the dough can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until ready to bake. This means all I had to do was make the dough on Sunday night and refrigerate it until I could bake it up tonight.


Looking through my baking supplies, I spotted a box of cake mix and tin of sprinkles and figured it would be fun to make a cake mix based funfetti cookie. The dough turns out very sticky, so chilling it overnight actually made it easier to handle.

To get the cookies thick and puffy, I formed the dough so that it sits taller than it's wide. When you bake  the dough like this, it doesn't spread out as much, resulting in a fatter cookie. It tastes just like cake batter with chocolate chips - and the sprinkles give it a pop of color to brighten up your day!


I still have one more class to take next Monday, so I'll need another fast recipe like this one. In the meantime though, enjoy this fun cookies!

Cake mix funfetti cookies (makes ~30 cookies)
Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction

  • 1¼ (160 g) flour, all-purpose
  • 1¼ (190 g) boxed yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix)
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ¾ cup (170 g) butter, unsalted
  • ½ cup (100 g) white sugar
  • ½ cup (100 g) dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1½ tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup (180 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup (80 g) rainbow sprinkles
  1. Cream butter with white and brown sugars in a stand mixer on high speed until smooth.
  2. Add egg, followed by vanilla, and continue mixing until combined. 
  3. Sift flour, cake mix, and baking soda together in a separate bowl. 
  4. Add flour mixture and continue mixing on low speed until combined. Scrape down sides if needed. 
  5. Mix in chocolate chips and sprinkles on low speed (or by hand if needed). 
  6. Wrap dough in saran wrap and chill for at least two hours. 
  7. Preheat oven to 350F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. 
  8. Shape dough into 1.5 Tbsp balls and bake for 10-12 minutes. 
  9. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!