Monday, July 28, 2014

Chocolate cake mix cookies


I don't have much time these days. Moving across the country is no easy task, with all of the logistics to take care of. Plus, I want to hang out with as many of my friends as often as I can before I leave. This weekend was no exception. Lots of fun, but very little time for rest.

Which is why for today's baking experiment, I went the lazy route with cake mix cookies. The concept is very simple - you take a box of cake mix and just a bit of egg, milk, and butter (way less than what the box recommends) to get a nice thick batter. This batter would be too thick for a regular cake, but for cookie dough, it works just fine.

I justified this lazy recipe by telling myself that since I am basically re-purposing cake mix for another use, it still counts as making cookies from scratch. And honestly, I don't think people at work will care too much - these came out very soft and almost fudge-like. Delicious and easy!

Between now and when I finally get settled in Boston, blog posts will be less frequent. I'll probably still have time to bake regularly, but since I'm trying to use up all my existing ingredients, many of the things I do make will probably be repeats of past (already blogged about) recipes. So not sure when the next post will be, but stay tuned! 

Chocolate cake mix cookies (makes ~24 cookies)
(Recipe adapted from Best-Loved Chocolate Recipes)
  • 1 box of 18.25 oz devil's food cake mix
  • ⅓ cup of almond milk (regular milk okay)
  • ¼ cup of unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Mix cake mix, milk, butter, and egg together in a stand mixer on medium speed until combined. The batter will be very thick and sticky.
  3. Fold in chocolate chips by hand. 
  4. Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. 
  5. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the bottoms of the cookies are set. 
  6. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!