Monday, October 14, 2013

A little bit of everything - custard tarts!

Green: green tea; Yellow - maple; Orange - pumpkin,
Speckled black - poppy seed
So today I was chatting with my friend online when he tells me "Hey, you should check out Cookie Clicker!" It's this site where you click on a cookie and then use the cookies you collect to buy upgrades to help you click on the cookie faster. My initial reaction was "Um....yeah. This is stupid." Five minutes later, I was like "HOW DO I GET MORE COOKIES?"

48 hours later, I am producing cookies at a rate of 27 million a second and own 8 antimatter cookie condensers (as well as cookie farms, time machines, factories, etc...). I got my roommate hooked onto it as well and now he's more addicted than I am - he stacked stuff on top of his mouse button to make it click while he was gone at work.

It would be great to be that efficient at making cookies however. I do tend to be on the slow side of baking...

Anyways I was organizing my baking supplies and realized I had a lot of leftover ingredients from previous baking projects, such as maple syrup, green tea powder, poppy seeds, and pumpkin. Obviously I wasn't going to mix all of those flavors together, but it did give me an idea to make different flavors of the same dessert.

Then my other roommate came home with a mini-muffin baking tray and I knew exactly what I was going to make: custard tarts! Whenever I go to dim sum, I always get those egg custard tarts for dessert, which was the inspiration for this custard tart sampler plate.


I started with the same basic recipe for all four types of custard - egg and milk. I used white sugar for the green tea and poppy seed flavors and brown sugar for the maple syrup and pumpkin. I also added additional flavors, like cinnamon and nutmeg, depending on the base flavor.

Mixing up the different custard fillings!

These turned out pretty well and I had a lot of custard leftover, so I made some larger crustless tarts in my cupcake tins as well! These were fun to make and are definitely a great way to use up some leftover ingredients.

Custard Tarts (makes ~10 mini-tarts of each flavor)

Crust: 1 box of Betty Crocker's Pie Crust Mix

Green Tea:

  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup coconut creamer
  • 3 Tbsp white sugar
  • Dash of salt
  • ~5 Tbsp matcha powder


Maple Sugar:

  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • Dash of salt
  • ~ 5 tsp brown sugar

Pumpkin:

  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree 
  • Dash of salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each of ground nutmeg, allspice, and cloves

Poppy Seed: 

  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup coconut creamer
  • 3 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each of ground nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
  • 1/3 cup of poppy seeds
  1. Make the pie crust - follow the directions on the box to form the pie crust dough (mix 2+ Tbsp of water with the mix). Roll out the dough until smooth and form 1.5 inch balls. Press into a mini-muffin tin to line the inside of each tin to form the crust of the tart. 
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  3. Mix all of the ingredients together for each of the tarts. For the maple syrup one, mix all the ingredients except the brown sugar in. Mix with egg beater until smooth. 
  4. Pour custard filling into the tarts - fill until just under the brim of the crust. For the maple tarts, sprinkle ~1/2 tsp of brown sugar on top of each tart (it will sink to the bottom and form a brown sugar layer)
  5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until crust starts to brown on top and an inserted knife comes out clean. 
  6. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!