Sunday, February 2, 2014

Salted Caramel Cupcakes


I am not the biggest sports fan in the world. In fact, when I first moved to San Francisco, I had no idea what the California sport teams were. Every year, I watch one or two football games a year. Usually, it's only the Superbowl, and especially if the Minnesota or the California teams are out, I just watch it for the commercials (excited for the Full House reunion commercial!) . 
But hey, a Superbowl party gives me an excuse to bake! I considered making cupcakes in the colors of the teams that are playing, but with the 49ers losing to the Seahawks (see, I know my teams), I knew it might be a sore spot for people. So, I made the most-neutrally themed football cupcakes possible instead (also, I didn't have any white frosting on hand and was too lazy to make any, so the football lacings are rainbow colored instead). 

Salted caramel is my current baking obsession. Those dark chocolate caramel cookies were a huge hit, inspiring me to make a super salted caramel cupcake. Super as in caramel cupcake, caramel filling, and caramel frosting - yum, right? And plus, the salt offsets the sweetness so hopefully it's not overpoweringly sugary. 



For the recipe, I defaulted to my favorite blog and found this recipe. There were tons of leftover Rolos from those dark chocolate cookies, so I adjusted the cupcake recipe to incorporate them. Instead of sticking the Rolos on top of the frosting, I stuck them in the middle of the cupcakes as the filling. 

Go football!



Salted Caramel Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes)
Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 24 mini Rolos
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Cream butter in a stand mixer on low speed until smooth and fluffy. Add the sugars at medium speed and beat until completely combined. 
  3. Add eggs and vanilla until combined. Scrape the bowl down. 
  4. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) separately and then add to the wet mixture. Scrape down bowl until no flour remains. 
  5. Add heavy cream until just mixed (do not overmix).
  6. Divide batter between 12 cupcake tins (about 3 tbsp each). Push down 2 mini Rolos into the center of the batter.
  7. Bake for 22 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting (recipe below). 
Salted Caramel Frosting (enough to frost 12 cupcakes)
Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
  • 1/2 cup salted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar 
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Mix in brown sugar and cream, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. 
  2. Let it bubble for three minutes and then remove from heat. Let cool slightly (about 10 minutes). 
  3. Whisk in powdered sugar slowly until everything is smooth and incorporated. 
  4. Spoon onto cooled cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!