Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Buttermilk mochi waffle sticks


Yep, it's another double-post baking day! While my coconut brownies were baking away in the oven, I played around with my new waffle maker. I stole won this waffle maker in a round of White Elephant with my lab group at work and have tested a few simple recipes on it so far, but nothing worth sharing yet. Until now.





Since I stole this pretty red waffle stick maker from someone who is gluten-free, I thought I'd be nice and bring gluten-free waffle sticks to the next group meeting to share. For me, baking gluten-free is relatively easy: I simply sub in 7/8 cup of mochi flour for every 1 cup of regular flour that a recipe calls for. It usually doesn't change the final product too much, except to make it chewier and denser.


I used the buttermilk recipe that came with the waffle maker and substituted the mochi flour according to the ratio above. For a extra sweet kick, I melted milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips and dipped the sticks, as well as made them look pretty with sprinkles. Yum!

I also made a chocolate variation of this recipe last week (no pictures though since my roommate at them all before I could document them), in which the recipe still needs tweaking. Except a chocolate mochi waffle recipe at some point once I figure out the recipe. :)


Buttermilk Mochi Waffle Sticks (makes 15 sticks)
Recipe from Babycakes

  • 3/4 cups of mochi flour
  • 1/2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  1. Preheat the waffle maker. 
  2. Combine the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk, oil, and egg. Mix until smooth.
  3. Fill the waffle stick maker with about 3/4 cup of batter. Bake for 5 minutes. 
  4. Repeat until all the batter is used up. 
  5. To dip in chocolate, simply melt some chocolate chips (use heavy cream to thin it out for dipping) in the microwave and dip away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!