Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Chocolate Filled Donuts


The plan last week was to make donuts and then blog about them - except the donuts turned out...very funny looking. They were baked, not fried, and didn't have that nice golden color I was going for. In an attempt to add color, I used my kitchen torch on them. That didn't go over so well.

While the donuts didn't burn, they did take on an appearance of baked chicken. And when I posted them to Facebook, friends made the comparison of my donuts to excised mice tumors (my life as a cancer researcher). I decided against writing that recipe up until I had prettier pictures, but I didn't give up on donuts!

This week, I finally faced my fear of hot oil and actually fried these donuts. And by that, I mean I found a friend who was willing to fry them for me as I safely stood far, far away. 


I'm glad to say that these donuts turned out better than last week's attempt (appearance wise)! The chocolate was a little tricky to fill - it kept leaking back out, so maybe next time, I'll wait until the chocolate is cooler before using. 


This recipe comes from Gordon Ramsey - he actually has a nice Youtube video showing you how to make it. I would highly recommend watching the video before attempting these. He gives some very informative tips!

Here's to more aesthetically pleasing results!


Chocolate Filled Donuts (makes 12 donuts)
Recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsey

Donuts:
  • 50 g (1/4 cup) white sugar
  • 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) commercial yeast
  • 3 1/2 Tsp unsalted butter
  • 312 g (2 1/2 cups) flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  • Cinnamon sugar (1/2 cup sugar + 2 Tsbp cinnamon), for rolling
Filling:
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 9 oz dark or milk chocolate
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
  1. In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar into the milk over low heat. 
  2. When the milk is warm (not hot or boiling), pour half into a bowl. Add the yeast to the bowl. 
  3. Return remaining milk to the stove. Add butter and continue to heat (do not boil).
  4. Mix salt and flour together in a separate bowl. Add the egg yolks and both milk mixtures. 
  5. Knead dough until elastic (either with stand mixer and dough hook or by hand). Add flour if dough is too sticky.
  6. Place dough in oiled bowl and cover with dishcloth. Let rise for 1.5-2 hours (or until doubled).
  7. After rising, knead dough slightly and roll out into a rectangle about one inch thick. Cut into about 12 rectangular pieces. 
  8. Place pieces on a baking sheet and let rise for another 45 minutes. 
  9. Make filling: heat cream and honey together in saucepan until almost boiling. Pour cream mixture over chocolate and butter and stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Place in fridge to cool. 
  10. Heat oil in large saucepan to about 340F. Fry doughnuts on both sides until golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped. 
  11. Roll warm donuts in cinnamon sugar. 
  12. Fill donuts with chocolate filling using a piping bag. 
  13. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!