Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Melted ice cream cone cake


It's been awhile since my last blog post - grad school can really eat up your time! Blogging may have fallen by the wayside, but I've kept up the weekly baking to maintain my sanity.

Recently, I've started baking more cakes, usually for my fellow lab mates' birthdays. I typically prefer cupcakes, as they are easier to transport and distribute, but for someone's special day, a cake is always fun to make!


Today's cake is ice creamed themed! I saw pictures on Pinterest of all these cakes with ice cream cones "melting" on the top and knew I had to replicate this. It actually was easier to make than I thought - you just bake and ice your favorite cake recipe, and then pour chocolate ganache over the top so it drips down the sides. Take some extra cake, stuff them into ice cream cones, and turn them upside down on the cake, covering it with even more ganache to create the "melted" ice cream look. I wanted more color on my cake so I added a bunch of sprinkles. 

Here's to 2016 and more frequent blogging!


Melted Ice Cream Cone Cake
  • Your favorite cake and frosting recipes
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 9 oz dark chocolate chips
  • Ice cream cones (cake cones or waffle cones)
  • Sprinkles, for decoration
  1. Make, bake, assemble and frost your cake according to your recipes. When you bake the cake, set aside a tiny bit of the batter and use it to bake one or two mini cupcakes at the same time. 
  2. Heat the cream to a boil over medium heat and then pour it over the chocolate chips. Stir to until completely combined and smooth. 
  3. Pour ganache over the top of the cake until it drips down the sides of the cake. 
  4. Set the mini cupcakes on top of the cake where you want the cones to be. Pour more ganache over the cupcakes to cover them.
  5. Rest the cones on top of the cupcake mounds. Drip more ganache between the cone and the cupcake to make it look seamless. 
  6. Add the sprinkles and any other desired decoration. 
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Comment!